Friday 18 November 2011

Welcome to Super Mario

When I started writing this blog, just over a month ago, I had no idea how things would change so quickly. Not in my wildest dreams I thought that the dwarf Berlusconi would have resigned. It was so nice to see the Italians celebrating their joy and the whole world praising his exit. The question that night was "what's gonna happen now?" and the answer was "I don't know, but it can't been worse than what it has been for the past 17 years".

President Napolitano had a key role in setting up a new Government so quickly, and Mario Monti, a man that couldn't be more far away from Berlusconi's nasty image, seems to have the skills and knowledge to be a good Prime Minister. Italians are not entirely happy (we like to complain), because this Government has not been democratically elected, but look what we have done the last time we had the chance to elect someone?

A technocratic Government is Italy best bet in my opinion at the moment. The economy has been neglected for so long, the parliament has been filled with incompetent show biz people that know nothing on how to run a country, it is finally reassuring to see people that have academic knowledge and business experience to be in charge.

People are worried because the connection of Monti et al. with the banks, but then again, that's what runs the economy and at least they will have the inside knowledge necessary to lift Italy up.

So go Super Mario go!

8 comments:

  1. A debased version of democracy with an unelected cabinet of technocrats in thrall to the bond markets and ready to do their every bidding? It's just corruption with a new mask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be true, but there is no alternative at the moment. No corruption can be ever has good as Berlusconi's Government, which was based on corruption, bribing and money.

    Italy is definitely not ready for elections right now, hopefully when there will be elections Italians will make a wiser choice that the one we did three years ago and brought us this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Italy is definitely not ready for elections right now"

    A classic Robert Mugabe (and numerous dictators before him) line of defence. Who decides when a country is ready for election and what on earth makes it necessary to suspend democracy in any nation? Learn to think critically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm talking from a dictator's point of view. I'm talking from my point of view when I say that Italy (in my opinion) is not ready for elections, because the opposition is still in a mess, they can't even chose their leader, and the electoral law needs reform.

    If we were going to vote right now, I simply wouldn't know who to vote. Hopefully the opposition will have the time to stop fighting and sort themselves out. I'm pretty sure Berlusconi and Co. are already preparing a very powerful campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I meant that I'm NOT talking from a dictator's point of view!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If we were going to vote right now, I simply wouldn't know who to vote"

    So the same applies to all Italy? That sounds like dictator talk to me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, considering that the opposition currently doesn't even know to put forward as a candidate, I'm pretty sure most people would be slightly confused if we were going to elections in the very short term. This is just my opinion of course, but at least I don't hide it behind an "anonymous".

    ReplyDelete