Friday 19 October 2012

The shadow of Berlusconi

I have been extremely quiet on my blog recently for various reasons.

The main reason is that this blog started out of the frustration caused by the politics in Italy and especially by Berlusconi, and as he has been removed from power, in a way I had less to write about.

However, with a bit more time in my hands these days I have been wanting to start writing again, and today's news of his court appearance gave me the final push. It is sadly clear that this man has no intention to go away, and he is still fooling most of the population. Italians have a very short memory and are still fooled by his media power. Watch one day of Italian TV, and you'll see pensioners claiming that it's better to "be like him, than be a faggot", housewives justifying that "he needs a little release because he works so hard" and so on.

He still manages to bring out very strong feelings from the population, you either hate him or love him, but I'm afraid those who love him might be the majority.

With an opposition still in shambles, and his party that cannot survive without him, I can only pray that Monti stays where he is for as long as possible. Supporting somebody that has not been democratically elected goes against every principle I believe in, but when I look at what's happening in Greece I can't help but thinking that without him, Italy would be exactly in the same situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment